The LMD is a leading international laboratory on the following themes:
- Dynamic atmospheric processes for Earth and planetary atmospheres
- Surface/atmosphere interactions (including land and ocean surfaces)
- Water cycle and clouds
- Atmospheric composition, pollution and large-scale transport
- Global and regional climate variability and change
- Societal impacts (health and energy)
Research on these topics is based on multiple approaches: numerical modeling and observation of the atmosphere, ocean and continental surfaces at various scales, from local to global. Modeling activities include numerical analysis and development of physical parameterizations. Observing activities include instrumental development, signal processing techniques and deployment of measurement systems at the ground (contribution to the IPSL SIRTA experimental site), and on board balloons or satellite.